Wallcourt Hall was built in the heart of Aurora in 1909 for Miss Goldsmith’s School for Girls, a well-respected preparatory school. It later served as a dormitory for Wells College, and, for a brief time, as a studio for MacKenzie-Childs, maker of distinctive and whimsical tableware and home décor.
Today, Wallcourt Hall welcomes guests with striking modern style. Its 16 guestrooms offer designer details, with custom furniture, Italian fabrics, and exceptional modern art.
Wallcourt Hall was built in 1909 as a dormitory for Miss Goldsmith’s School for Girls, a well-respected preparatory school run by Anna Goldsmith Taylor, an 1884 graduate of Wells College. Founded by Sarah Yawger in 1895, the school had its home in what is now called Taylor House, across the street from the Aurora Inn. Under Anna’s stewardship, the school thrived and soon needed additional housing. For this purpose she built Wallcourt Hall (whose name comes from the brick-walled vineyard that originally stood in its place) next to Taylor House.
After Anna’s death in 1921, her sister Miss Kate Goldsmith ran the school until 1928, when the school was closed and Anna’s stepson Myron gifted both Taylor House and Wallcourt Hall to Wells College. Wallcourt Hall served as a dormitory for Wells College students until 1974, and, for a brief time, as a studio for MacKenzie-Childs, maker of distinctive and whimsical tableware and home décor.
By 2014, Wallcourt Hall had been abandoned and vacant for several decades, slowly slipping back into nature’s grasp. After an extensive restoration and renovation, Wallcourt Hall reopened in 2016 as the fourth of the Inns of Aurora — ready for another century of guests.